Resources for School Librarians
Resources for librarians and others who work in school media centers or school libraries.
- AASL Advocacy webpage
- Frontline Advocacy for School Libraries Toolkit (ALA)
- National Center for Education Statistics
- School Library Studies | Keith Curry Lance
- Toolkit for Promoting School Library Programs
- About Rise: A Feminist Book Project
- American Indian Youth Literature Awards
- Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature
- (Mildred L.) Batchelder Award
- Beehive Book Awards
- (Pura) Belpré Award
- (Randolph) Caldecott Medal
- Coretta Scott King Book Awards
- (Theodore Seuss) Geisel Award
- (John) Newbery Medal
- (Michael L.) Printz Award
- Schneider Family Book Award
- (Robert F.) Sibert Informational Book Medal
- Stonewall Book Award
Books, Booklists and Review Sources
- Assembly on Literature for Adolescents (ALAN) of NCTE
- Book Buzz
- Capital Choices
- Center for Children’s Books
- Children’s Literature Web Guide
- Cooperative Children’s Book Center
- Great Graphic Novels for Teens
- Guys Read
- Horn Book
- Kirkus Reviews
- Kiss the Book
- No Flying No Tights
- Notable Children’s Books
- Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
- Rainbow List
- Reading Rants
- School Library Journal
- Teen Reads
Books at the State Library available through Interlibrary Loan
- Alessio, Amy J. Club Programs for Teens: 100 Activities for the Entire Year. ALA Editions, 2015.
- Cano, Lesley M. 3D Printing: A Powerful New Curriculum Tool for Your School Library. Libraries Unlimited, 2015.
- Fletcher-Spear, Kristin. Intellectual Freedom for Teens: A Practical Guide for Young Adult and School Librarians. ALA, 2014.
- Isaacs, Kathleen T. Excellent Books for Early and Eager Readers. ALA Editions, 2016.
- Kepple, Sarah. Library Robotics: Technology and English Language Arts Activities for Ages 8-24.Libraries Unlimited, 2015.
- Morris, Betty J. Administering the School Library Media Center 4th Libraries Unlimited, 2004.
- Pandora, Cherie. Better Serving Teens through School Library-Public Library Collaborations. Libraries Unlimited, 2013.
- Scales, Pat.Books under Fire: A Hit List of Banned and Challenged Children’s Books.ALA Editions, 2015.
- Schadlich, Megan Emery. Cooking Up Library Programs Teens and ‘Tweens Will Love: Recipes for Success. Libraries Unlimited, 2015.
- Velásquez, Jennifer. Real-World Teen Services. ALA Editions, 2015.
- Vnuk, Rebecca. The Weeding Handbook: A Shelf-By-Shelf Guide. ALA Editions, 2015
- Willingham, Theresa. Makerspaces in Libraries. Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- Zilonis, Mary Frances. Strategic Planning for School Library Media Centers. Scarecrow Press, 2002.
- Book Censorship in Schools: A Toolkit
- CREW: A Weeding Manual for Modern Libraries
- School Library Collection Development Framework (South Dakota)
- ReadWriteThink Lesson Plans
- Standards for the 21st Century Learner Lesson Plan Database
- UEN Lesson Plan Library
- Make Salt Lake
- Maker and DIY programs (YALSA wiki)
- Starting a School Makerspace from Scratch
- STEM Action Center Utah
- AASL’s Best Websites for Teaching and Learning
- Beyond Proficiency @ your library
- Public Library & School Library Collaboration Toolkit (pdf)
- Utah School Library Media Program Benchmarks
- American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
- Assembly on Literature for Adolescents of the NCTE (ALAN)
- Association of Library Service to Children (ALSC)
- Future Ready Librarians
- International Literacy Association (ILA)
- National Council for Teachers of English (NCTE)
- National Education Association (NEA)
- Young Adult Library Association (YALSA)
State and National Initiatives