UPLIFT continuing Education Grants
Through the Utah Public Library Institute for Training (UPLIFT), the Utah State Library offers a variety of training opportunities to individuals, libraries, and library organizations. Training includes basic training for non-MLS library staff, advanced training for the full library community, and training for library trustees, through special institutes, mini-workshops, teleconferences, grants to individuals and grants to library organizations. The future of these continuing education grants depends on federal funding, demand, and assessed impact.
The Utah State Library funds two grants: Organization Resource Grant and Professional Excellence Grant (see tabs below). Recipients are required to acknowledge the Utah State Library when undertaking and promoting grant supported activities.
- A formal library organization must be eligible for state/federal funding.
- A formal library organization applying for a grant must submit evidence of fiscal capacity to administer grant funds.
- A formal library organization include ULA, UELMA, and ULMS.
- The emphasis for the training should be on meeting the needs of the end user: the customers.
- Library board members, volunteers, advocates, and other supporters may be included in the training as appropriate.
Library organizations may receive grants up to $3,000. Allowable costs include:
- Trainer fees.
- Room rental in non-library or agency facility if required.
- Duplication/purchase of training materials.
The Utah State Library will reimburse after USL receives financial receipts and project evaluations. The grant does not cover indirect costs of the training, nor meals.
Grant recipients agree to evaluate programs using the Online Evaluation and Claim Form and their own evaluation forms, summarizing the results. A sample evaluation form is available for your use and consideration. Please return the Claim Form & Final Report and a summary of the evaluations to the Utah State Library within 30 days after the event.
- Applications must be submitted online. See contact information below.
- Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on the appropriate deadline. The schedule may vary in future years depending upon demand and funding.
- Utah State Library staff reviews the application and gives recommendations to the Director. USL notifies applicants of the decision within thirty days of the review dates (by March 15, July 15, or November 15), and sends out a contract for signatures.
- The grant recipient returns the signed contract to the Utah State Library.
- The grant recipient submits financial receipts and evaluation forms to the Utah State Library within 30 days of the completion of the event.
Acknowledging the Utah State Library - How to publicly acknowledge your grant award and give proper credit
A requirement of the UPLIFT Professional Development and the Organization Resource Grants is that you acknowledge the Utah State Library as the source of the funds.
- PUBLIC EVENTS: At programs or public gatherings related to your award, acknowledge the Utah State Library verbally. Display the USL logo on signage at events.
- PRESS EVENTS: At press conferences acknowledge the Utah State Library orally. Acknowledge USL on press kits and in press releases.
- PRINTED MATERIALS: Sample acknowledgements follow. Also use the USL logo whenever possible.
- “This project is made possible by a grant from the Utah State Library.”
- For posters, use a size for which the words “Utah State Library” is legible from a distance.
- WEB SITES: Acknowledge the Utah State Library on your Web site.
Utah State Library Logo
- Use the logo of the Utah State Library whenever possible.
- Do NOT change USL logo colors or place the logo on a colored background. Utah Department of Heritage and Arts policy states that the logo, with its original colors, must be placed on a white background.
- Do NOT change the USL logo dimensions. This violates the logo policy of the Department of Heritage and Arts. You can resize the image to fit your needs. If you resize the logo, you must retain the dimensions. If you do not have an image editor try one of the following free online image editors:
- Please contact Jessica Whetman for larger logos.
- Right click on the image below and choose “save as” or “save image as.”